Tuva’s website had just been redesigned, but this new look made it clear their original text-based logo didn’t successfully represent the company’s values and value proposition. Their mission is to put people at the center of “big data” by making it accessible and relatable. My mission: create a graphical logo incorporating the theme of “big data” together with a humanizing element.
I didn’t know what “big data” was. I had precisely 16 hours to figure it out.
The Fun Part
I researched a variety of representations of data across print and web, got to know the company’s products and customers, and used that to brainstorm how I could conceptualize their ‘humanizing data’ mission.
I discussed early concepts with friends who worked at startups that use similar data-based products, then did some hand sketching for an early round of feedback from my creative director. Once we agreed on a few promising directions I picked a few simple base fonts to work with and created vector versions of my top 3 concepts.
I went through four rounds of revisions, first coming up with detailed designs and playing with color options. I then discussed them with my creative director and, taking hers and the client’s feedback into consideration, I came up with a few, more minimalist, representations. I then checked with some colleagues and a couple of potential customers, who (without being me biasing them) confirmed my intuition that the line graph concept was the most accurate representation of Tuva’s value proposition.
I polished this concept and presented it to the creative director and clients and they agreed it nailed the brief: clearly illustrating the theme of “big data” while incorporating a human element.
This was a one-off project branding project so I am not able to share any specific metrics on its success, but given the goals were (1) a happy client, with (2) a logo they and their customers felt accurately reflected their product, this was a very successful project on both fronts.
This was a good opportunity to learn how to be extremely efficient in the gathering and exploration phases, and very tight on client communication—I started with very little context, time, and a busy client. I needed to be very specific in the feedback I requested from the company’s leaders to avoid wasted time or back and forth, so in each communication I communicated (a) the goals of this stage of design, (b) my major decision points and open questions, and (c) the types of feedback that were helpful, and suggested a template for them to provide their feedback.